Monday, 17 May 2010

The morning after the morning after the night before (2)




On Saturday night I took part in the Playtex Moonwalk in London.  17,000 people walking 26.2 miles (or 13.1 for the half mooners) through the night.  I ended up loising everyone I knew and walking alone which was tough but worked out fine. At mile 2 I popped on my iPod with my brothers
wedding mix and pretty much danced through the next 17 miles.





I love London at night, it's so beautiful all lit up and sparkly.  Walking past The House of Commons then down the embankment was a but slow due to the crowds of walkers but brilliant.  More importantly my lipstick was still in place at 2am:



The organisers and volunteers did an amazing job and even the weather was on side. Not too cold and the sun came up to a clear blue sky which made me glad I packed my sunglasses.

I took off my headphones just after the V&A and had a chat with two lovely other walkers for a few miles which was probably my undoing. I ended up walking at someone else paces rather than dancing to the pace of the music as I had been doing. As a result I hit a wall just after
mile 20 that I didn't recover from.

So I slowed my pace significantly and, as we were on the way back and in an area of London I know well (Millbank) I knew I could keep going. By this time my hip, knees and back hurt and I cursed not doing more training or losing more weight but I popped my earphones back in switched to my gym iPod and carried on carrying on.

Slowly but surely I clicked off miles 22, 23 & 24 and as I passed sun drenched Buckungham Palace I knew I was going to make it. Miles 25 & 26 were painful and slow. Having spent the first 19 miles eating up pavement I was now being passed by everyone.  As I walked up the final 0.2 mile stretch to the finish line. I started to cry. Relief, pain, pride I don't know but the emotion got to me.

I am here now Monday morning after a full nights sleep and whilst I am sore, I am in one piece, no blisters, no bruises just very very sore and quite proud of myself.  So far if everyone who's pledged pay up I have raised nearly £800 which is fab.

It's not too late to sponsor me if you'd like to; just click the link at the top left of this page or put www.walkthwalkfundraising.org/pontecarloblue

Thanks for all your support, ask me in a few days if I'm doing it again next year.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is quite inappropriate to be "quite proud" of yourself.
    You should be VERY EXTREMELY and WILDLY Proud of yourself. You did well, or so we all thought - but reading this, it is quite clear you did amazingly more than that - getting through all sorts of demon areas and just keeping going.
    What a splendid person you are.
    Thank you so much.
    xxx (MA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw WELL DONE sweetie! It's an absolutely amazing thing to have done. =D

    Florrie x

    PS, love the faboulous make up! if a girl's going to suffer she might as well look great doing it. I have never seen anyone looking so good at 2am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very proud of you... what an achievement! And I especially love the fact that your lipstick was in place at 2.00am! Well done... you are my hero! Mwah xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget